Friday, July 22, 2011

Gone With the Wind.....a yankee under construction

Random thoughts of a yankee........ & how it is I got here. 
I'm coming up on my 5th year in Memphis and just 5&1/2 years ago, Memphis wasn't even on the radar. Truth is I never even connected Elvis and Memphis.  I remember the call tho as if it were yesterday from a headhunter somewhere in southern California. I was working at The Press of Atlantic City at the time.  "Would you be interested in a position in Memphis with The Commercial Appeal?"
"Ummmm, isn't that in Tennessee I asked & what the heck is a Commercial Appeal?" Turns out that the CA is a newspaper and, of course, Memphis is in Tennessee!  A few months later & after having watched The Firm several times,  I packed the Dodge just as full as I could (without even a suitcase) and set out for new adventure and the 19 hour plus trek to the great unknown and The Big Muddy...... a far cry from the Atlantic Ocean for this beach boy!
So that's it.  That's how I came to Memphis & to this point in my life.  So why Blog now??? After all, I'm basically a Blog Virgin. Why else?  Don't most of them seem to be about love?  Oh sure, I have since found out that basically there are blogs on just about anything & everything,  the technical ones, the scientific ones, the stupid ones and hell...all kinds about wines.  A friend of mine has one about her own zanny exploits in keeping up with her elderly father (Me & the Dadler).   I'm thinking the ones that get really followed madly tho are those about love....love gone wrong, love goes right, love takes a left turn again and then goes zig-zagging badly off the highway...... like going 95 through a crack neighborhood on the way to a liquor store!  Love is often painful but it does not 'Stink' (sorry J Geils).  We all want to be in that perfect relationship & the reality is...that doesn't exist, no one is perfect & sometimes love just isn't enuf!  For me, I fell hard & fast for a beautiful southern Belle from almost the moment I landed in Memphis & from what seems like another world now.....the south still..but that would be 'South Jersey'.  So let's just say our love affair had a real 'Gone With the Wind' flavor (a little ironic, don't you think?) . She, always searching for her 'Ashley', and missing the 'Rhett' right in front of her......& now It is over! The sensitive hopeless romantic that I am hurts and probably will for sometime.  I guess I'll just have to watch 'The Holiday' again or maybe just the last 5 minutes of GWTW anyway!
So, right up front, as you can plainly see .  I am not a writer (clearly e-mails & marketing materials don't count) but I do like to read if that counts for anything (Luv - Water for Elephants BTW), own a library card and have even been inside the book mobile a time or two. I have no idea what this blog will become at this point other than the mindless ramblings & recountenance of a delusional yankee.....in Memphis, a town that means so much to me now!  It certainly won't be 'Rocket Science', Dr. Phil Fodder or an advice column. Hell...I couldn't even help myself...... tho maybe I have learned something more this time.

So the reason, I guess in self diagnosis, is the need for  theraputic expressive release.  There is something liberating about shooting words & feelings off into cyberspace mostly for self benefit  I'd already finished Blogs 2 & 3 and nearly posted one of them just to get started ala Quentin Tarantino.  This Blog, Gone With the Wind, for some obvious reasons, was just too painful at times to face let alone write and finish.  But here it is......for the most part anyway!  Here is where I am right now & here is where I finally move on 8-).
A yankee in Memphis
Authors note:  no alcohol was consumed nor animals injured in the making of this Blog. Please forgive mispellings, punctuation errors & obvious brain farts as the author is clearly dilusional & highly medicated.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant disclaimer and very insightful reasons for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look out world, Elvis is blogging! (you'll always be Elvis to me...). :-) Congrats on the new blog...I'll be following it!

    ReplyDelete